Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mutt begets mutt


I suspect God giggles when I drink from my John Calvin coffee mug.

When I was called to a new ministry position earlier this year, the fact that I’m ordained in a different denomination than the congregation I was called to wasn’t a barrier to the Holy Spirit.
Recently, while explaining to a former Catholic married a former Congregationalist, that though I’m working in a Lutheran church, I’m ordained in the Reformed church, he affirmed me: “The people in the pews move among denominations all the time. It’s about time pastors caught up and did the same.” As my mother reminds me, I was baptized in a Lutheran church. Of course, I was also confirmed Reformed, met my Southern Baptist wife while attending an Episcopal parish, and attended a non-denominational seminary while serving in a Presbyterian congregation. Like others, I’m a denominational mutt.

Don’t get me wrong: I believe denominations are important. Yes, denominations provide a connection to a particular theological and ethnic heritage. But more importantly to me, denominations are the means by which we agree not to be the church by ourselves; they provide the means for accountability. But I believe that God calls me to serve the Church, not any denomination.

The night my youngest daughter was baptized by a Lutheran pastor, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, United Church of Christ, and Reformed Church witnesses stood as my daughter’s sponsors. Among the many emotions swirling within me that night was pride that, through the Ecumenical Witness program, my daughter was clearly being baptized into the Christian church, not the Lutheran church. I suspect that, like me, Rebekah will be a denominational mutt. That’s ok with me; it’s more important that as she grows in faith, she’s connected to others who seek JC – Jesus Christ, not John Calvin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home